The classic Tomb Raider games hold a very special place in my heart. Even though they're clunky and hard to get into for new players, I've always found there to be something extremely magical about them. The atmosphere is always immaculate and the 3D is always charming in a way few other PS1 games were. That is certainly not to say other games at the time didn't look objectively better, but did Crash and Spyro and Sir Daniel Fortesque get multiple little outfits styled specifically to run around in the different areas of the game? I bloody thought not. This is just one aspect of the classic TR games that I ferally obsess over for an unnecessary amount and I have a lot of opinions to share.
TR1 Classic Outfit
- Plain classic turquoise top. It’s iconic. No arguments.
- It’s a great choice of colour, especially considering it contrasts really well with most of the environmental colours.
- I like the original interpretation of Lara having dark red hair, it’s a shame she apparently let it grow out before the events of this game, turquoise and bordeaux is a god tier colour combo.
- The comically large gold belt buckle is charming.
- Fingerless glove supremacy.
- The hair in the sloppy low bun too is commonly said to be a last-minute decision since they apparently couldn’t get the hair physics working in time, but I actually really like the way it frames her face! It makes her look less angular.
TR1 Home Outfit
- This is the comfiest we ever get to see Lara, and that's why it's one of my top favorites.
- The baggy grey sweatpants... come on.
- Cropped racerback tank top with the white edge hemmings and the big elastic band at the bottom for supreme comfiness.
- I love the cheeky peek of the panties showing that they match with the top??? You would never even see that on an old CRT tv. That's so great.
- Would definitely feel comfortable to do some tumbling in this outfit.
TR1 Nokia N-Gage Angel Of Darkness Outfit
- I really like the darker look she has in AOD, but here it just looks... really boring?
- It does not exude nearly as much personality as the classic outfit does.
- The colours don't stand out at all.
- If they gave her the jeans outfit from AOD that would've been so cool...
- Or at least they could havae given her the sunglasses??
- This just kind of looks like a lazy recolor.
TR2 Classic Outfit
- Same classic turquoise top, although it’s not a halter anymore which is a shame because halter tops are superior in most regards.
- They slightly changed Lara’s character model but managed to really emphasize her boobs.
- Whack your noodle to those 6 new polygons of breast, I dare you.
- I like the color change for the shoelaces from red to yellow, makes them pop more and also fits better with the overall color scheme.
- Must say I’m actually not that big a fan of the shorts colour, but I have a hard time imagining what would go better with it.
- Apparently they’re 100% cotton canvas though? Dope ig.
TR2 Home Outfit
- Surprisingly minimalist for a woman who lives in a mansion filled with treasure and exuberant carpet patterns.
- I like that it's a matching dark brown set instead of black. It's very stylish, if a little plain.
- Cargo pants... I guess? She could have gone with more comfortable options.
- I can hear the sounds the fabric of these pants makes as she runs.
- Don't love that she's wearing her gloves inside, but more importantly, she's wearing her combat boots inside??
- I know this level has an outdoor section but think of the carpets!!
TR2 Scuba Suit
- There were so many choices the TR2 devs could have made when designing a swimming suit for Lara, and I’m glad they went with this one.
- Not overly sexualized, inspiring!
- I like the blue with dark and light grey. That’s a classic color combo.
- It reminds me of the 2006 olympics logo... Somehow. Idk man.
- I like the funnel neckline with the contrasting band.
TR2 Taiga Outfit
- Funny wearing shorts in the snowy mountains joke.
- This is just her classic outfit with a coat thrown over.
- It’s a great coat though. It creates an entirely different silhouette.
- Looks really puffy and warm.
- At least just part of her body will suffer from hypothermia now.
TR2 Bath Robe
- Shee wooore bluuuuueeeeee veellveeeeeeeeeet
- This is one of my top favorites.
- First of all, that’s a stunning choice of color for a bath robe.
- The fucking dagger?????? Come on that’s incredible.
- It conveys that luxurious part of lara’s character really well.
- And then the dagger hanging from her waist just adds that extra little sprinkle of insanity, that’s Tomb Raider baby.
- I fucking love watching her run around in a dressing gown with a shotgun on her back shooting at cultist mafioso storming her house I love that that’s part of the actual fucking game.
TR3 Home Outfit
- Now this is the outfit of a woman who pays attention to carpet designs. She blends right in!
- Giving sporty spice realness.
- The black tank top is a little boring but I’ll allow it. The weird feathering on the straps though…
- The red shoelaces are back??? They clash with everything else in the fit.
- And she’s still wearing her gloves and combat boots inside the house smh my head.
- But with the scale of this level and the amount of secret shit to discover I don’t blame her for treating her house like it’s an actual ancient tomb.
TR3 Nevada Outfit
- This is just a recolor of the home outfit, or more likely, the home outfit is a recolor of this.
- Kinda bums me out they didn’t bother designing a separate home outfit for her.
- I definitely love this color for the pants a lot more though, it looks kind of like the ocean.
- The way it contrasts with the browns of the Nevada desert works really well, and later in the more blue-greyish industrial setting it acts great as camouflage!
- The red shoelaces also make way more sense now.
- Great outfit to meet aliens in, would buy these pants!
TR3 South Pacific Outfit
- Now this one I don’t love.
- It’s the top, why is it cropped like that? Why does it end right below the tits? The way the bottom hemline curves upward at the sides it looks like it’s just a plastic grocery bag and she’s stuck her head through one of the handles. Running in this would be so uncomfortable! She’d get back pains so fucking quickly, let alone the impact her boobs would make when landing a jump, those things would pull her trough the floor the way Inuyasha gets osuwari’d by Kagome. Lara is an intelligent woman, she knows the basics of good breast support god damn it!!
- Eh, the shorts are fine ig.
TR3 London Cat Suit
- Yeah this sure is a catsuit alright.
- They absolutely went off with the shiny highlights on this model holy shit.
- I have a hard time deciding whether I love or hate the zipper sleeves.
- But I definitely don’t love the miniscule zipper tit window… whyyy.
- They just had to fit a three pixel cleavage in there, it looks so stupid.
- The way they clearly decided her standard big fuck-you gold buckle would be too distracting here so they replaced it with a thinner one.
- Not my favorite but not awful either. Wait 'till you see the other cat suit though...
TR3 Antarctica Outfit
- This one. I looooove this one.
- No more wearing shorts in arctic climates! A win for the 'foids!
- I fucking love the bulky silhouette this gives her. It’s almost a little streetwear vibey.
- The color combo is also amazing, the vibrant orange with the creamy camo white, and that little peek of the classic turquoise top, such a slay!!
- The white laces!!!!! I wouldn’t have minded the red ones in this fit since they would match the belt, but they gave her dedicated white laces so she would match with the snowy environment!!
- I would buy every article of clothing in this fit. Incredible.
TR4 Classic Outfit
- The oversexualizing of Lara Croft started to get really bad around this period of time, and it shows here.
- The neckline has been cut even lower and the top is practically getting sucked into her body.
- The weird shadow below her boobs and around the navel was just completely unnecessary and makes everything look really gross and unrealistic.
- The shading on the shorts is worse, did she really actually have to have a fully shaded pussy outline? No. Show the lady some respect.
- Also her butt looks stupid. That’s not how glutes work.
- The one thing I’ll give them credit for is that they finally gave her the little jumpsuit hip windows she had all the way back in the initial concept art. I think that’s pretty neat.
TR4 Teen Lara Outfit
- Nightmare that is the style guide aside, I actually really like this outfit!
- She’s still sporting the characteristic crop top and shorts combo while not feeling overly sexualized, which is great as she’s supposed to be 16 here. (Let us ignore that one cutscene from TR5 for our own wellbeing.)
- She’s wearing cargo shorts instead of short shorts, and it’s a vibe!
- This is 100 percent an outfit I would wear nowadays.
- Green and white is a banger combo, I said it!!
- I like the vest over the low cut tshirt a lot, I choose to believe she’s wearing one of those cute butterfly front gathered shirts.
- My only complaint would be the twin braids. I like the idea of a younger Lara wearing two braids instead of one, I just don’t like the way it’s executed here. It makes her look way younger than she’s supposed to be and hinges on infantilizing.
- But her boots match with her backpack so slay.
TR5 Ski Suit
- Lara apparently loves a good camo print, and so do I.
- The beanie though...
- It's shit.
- It’s shit! It looks like shit on her I’m so sorry.
- Why did they make it so it looks like it’s not pulled down all the way?
- This fucks up her head shape so much, she looks like a fucking fooglie.
- I like the chunky snowboots they gave her, although the way her pants bunch up above them makes her look like she’s playing a character in Me and my Dick.
- Wait... The beanie makes sense now!!
TR5 Deep Sea Suit
- Now this is something we haven’t seen before…
- This… actually fucking owns!
- I love the vibrant yellow, it’s a color we haven’t really seen before on her.
- She only wears this for approximately 3 minutes of the entire game and the way she moves around in it is… just slightly comical.
- But damn it if I don’t really like the fact it’s here at all.
- Wait… look at that face! She looks fucking demonic!
- Why did they make her eyes so dark????
- Don’t get me wrong I love it. It’s awesome. I really wish we got to see more expressions like this.
TR5 Cat Suit
- And from one of the best, we move to what is arguably the worst of her outfits.
- This just looks like nothing, does it.
- The way they went all out with the detailing on her previous cat suit is just totally absent here, save for the minimal amount of frankly lackluster highlights.
- She’s literally wearing a void, there’s nothing here to break away from the black nothingness.
- She’s not even wearing her usual gear accept this measly sliver of a backpack.
- The glasses… They just leave me speechless.
- I like the earmic though, that's probably the only good thing I can name about this fit.
- It looks exactly like the way the devs must have felt while working on this game.
If you enjoyed this shrine I'd love to hear from you in the frontpage chatbox! Thanks for reading :)